Warning Signs That it’s Time to Install New Windows
Posted on October 19th, 2018 by rahul
From sticking frames to rattling panes, there are many factors that come into play when considering whether to replace your windows. Many of these factors pose safety risks to you and your family, especially when it comes to windows that won’t open or close. Other factors cause you to lose money, such as with inefficient windows that leak energy.
Not sure if you need new window installation in Sussex WI? Check out these warning signs to help you decide:
- Rattling panes: These noisy windows can indicate a poor fit. Maybe they weren’t installed correctly from the beginning, or maybe time and weather have caused them to lose their seals. Loss of weather stripping leads to degradation of the frame, which can cause a rattling sound. This is not only annoying, it’s costing you money because heat and cold air are escaping through those gaps.
- Sticking or loose frames: If you can’t open and close your windows easily, warping of the frames has likely occurred. This is normal and will happen over time, with sticking usually happening in humid weather; however, if you always have difficulty moving them up and down in normal circumstances, a bigger problem could be at play here, such as a balance failure. The risk is compounded when the window fails to stay open and slams shut as you walk away.
- Frost or condensation inside the glass: This often occurs when indoor air cools against a cold window pane, as it loses the ability to hold in moisture. That moisture tends to build up and will eventually become a breeding ground for mold. If you notice “sweating” windows or you see condensation that constantly clouds the two panes of glass, the seal has broken. You’ll need to have the whole window replaced.
- Cracked frames: Visible fractures equal a safety risk, as those jagged edges can cut fingers when you go to open the window. Window failure can also result as the cracks worsen and you aren’t able to open the window at all.
- Furnace or AC kicks on often: If your energy bills are higher than usual and your furnace or AC kicks on too often, your windows aren’t doing their job – which is to properly insulate your home. You’re losing a lot of energy through those drafts, causing your HVAC system to work overtime just to maintain a steady level of comfort throughout the house.
- Poor visibility: If you can barely see out of your windows, it’s time for new ones. Condensation, fading and discoloration can all lower the value of your home as well as negatively affect your curb appeal.
- Critter control: Are mice or insects invading your home? Cracks and gaps in your poorly-fitting windows are likely to blame. Anything small enough to squeeze through those gaps can and will get in!
- Noise factor: If you can’t get a good night’s sleep because you hear every sound the neighbors make, or you’re going crazy from the hum of traffic, you may need to replace your old single pane windows to the latest double pane windows. Today’s models are more energy and sound efficient, insulating you better from noises outside your home.
- Style: If your windows are out of fashion, they can bring down the curb appeal and value of the home – especially if you’ve kept up with other updates such as siding and landscaping. Add a modern touch to your home with new windows and improve the overall look and design of your property.
Contact Exterior Pros
If you’re tired of improper operation, failing windows or high energy bills, it’s time to give your home a facelift with new window installation in Sussex WI. Contact Exterior Pros for help at 262-456-3530 to request your FREE consultation.